This was supposed to be the upper back of my sweater, and that was supposed to be straight line. I shaped the lace insert using increases on the stockinette sides and a double decrease down the center. If you’ve ever knit feather and fan lace, you’ll know that distributing your increases and decreases like that will make a scalloped shape instead of a straight line. It’s lovely when it’s deliberate, but it can be frustrating when you’re trying to just create a narrowing bit of lace! I can’t say I’m entirely surprised that my back turned out like this, but I was really hoping that I would be able to get away with that increase and decrease distribution. This is getting frogged, and I’m trying to decide what to do next. I’ve got a few ideas to play around with to try to get the lace to work, and I’ve also got some unrelated ideas. It’s entirely possible that this will be a completely different design next time you see this yarn.