This was supposed to be the upper back of my sweater, and that was supposed to be straight line. I shaped the lace insert using increases on the stockinette sides and a double decrease down the center. If you’ve ever knit feather and fan lace, you’ll know that distributing your increases and decreases like that will make a scalloped shape instead of a straight line. It’s lovely when it’s deliberate, but it can be frustrating when you’re trying to just create a narrowing bit of lace! I can’t say I’m entirely surprised that my back turned out like this, but I was really hoping that I would be able to get away with that increase and decrease distribution. This is getting frogged, and I’m trying to decide what to do next. I’ve got a few ideas to play around with to try to get the lace to work, and I’ve also got some unrelated ideas. It’s entirely possible that this will be a completely different design next time you see this yarn.


  • Oh my gosh, Andi, this is so beautiful. Even if you cannot use if for the sweater this is worth it. I’m seeing that beautiful pattern on a sleeve on a summer garment.

  • I love the look. Just looking at it and I haven’t tried it, but it seems, at the point where the leaves stop at the top you should stop also. Think I would try just knitting right across the top and continue from there. I know that it will shorten the lace; but still think the effect would look great. You then mirroe the image that section along the sleeve bottoms. Just a thought:)

Leave a Reply to Elena Knits Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.