My Mom’s Christmas Hat


I mentioned in a previous post that I knit my mom a hat for Christmas. Here it is!


It is a badly modified version of the Star Crossed Slouchy Beret. I had made one for me and one for Britta a few years ago and my mom really liked them. (Caution: Those links go to scary bad old blog posts) I had a hard time imagining my mom in a slouchy beret, so I adjusted the pattern to be more beanie like.


I worked less incs on the increase row, but I made sure the number stayed an increment that worked with the cable pattern. That did shift how the cables lined up. Then I started working the decs and I forgot about the mods I made so I when I came to the cable row in the middle of the decreases, I didn’t have the right number of stitches. I had to fudge one of the cables so it is closer to the cable next to it. I don’t think the weird cables are particularly noticeable because the cables weren’t super organized and structured in the original design.


It looks good on my mom too. The shape and color suit her. I ordered the yarn to make myself something, but when it showed up, the color reminded me of my mom so much that I ended up making her the hat. Sometimes yarn makes you change your plans.







9 responses to “My Mom’s Christmas Hat”

  1. love it! What yarn is it? The cables are a lot of fun and yeah, I don’t think you can notice the mistake at all. ๐Ÿ™‚

    1. Thanks! It’s Stitch Nation Alpaca Love.

  2. Looks great! ๐Ÿ™‚

  3. Wow! You’re a hat-making machine! That’s a wonderful color, too.

    1. I can usually knock them out in a day or two. If I actually liked wearing hats, this would be the all hats all the time blog. They’re really satisfying to knit.

  4. Hats are so gratifying to make. This one is very cute; the color is great!

  5. I love the pattern and that is one of my favourite colours

  6. I am so bad at adding my own adjustments to patterns. I think that your beanie version turned out cute!

  7. Ooo, the color of this hat is very pretty! I saw that you had a knitting blog through IFB and I just had to come on over! Yay for knitting ๐Ÿ˜€

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.