Remember when I was sharing a cardigan from sketch to sweater? I finished it way back in April, but I was so busy working on new things for fall that it got tossed in the button-and-block pile after I bound off, and I forgot to share it here! I’ve been working hard on having plenty of new releases for later this year, and that means I’m churning through knitting projects so quickly that I forget to stop and share what I’m up to.
So here is this beauty that I knit it using Hazel Knits Lively DK. It was inspired by vintage sunburst clocks and mirrors, and creating the motifs was a fun challenge. Originally I planned on just using eyelets, but it was impossible to get the 45 degree angles quite right because of the differences between a stitch’s height and width. The blank spaces between the eyelet lines called attention to the differences and needed to get filled in with more angled lines, but more eyelets wouldn’t work. Then I combined slip stitches and mini cables with the eyelets to add more lines and got it just right.
In my original sketch, I planned on adding motifs to the elbows, but after adding considering how many sweater elbows I’ve worn through in the last couple of years and how much easier stockinette is to repair, I decided to skip the elbow details. Other than that, I think it looks pretty dang close to my sketch! I’m really happy with how it turned out.