I was really enthusiastic about getting my little shawl off my needles to I decided to go with the i-cord bind off I had been thinking about instead of finding something else. I made a little swatch, and the i-cord got pulled pretty tight when I blocked and pinned out my swatch, but other than that, it worked just fine so I bound off the shawl. Doesn’t it look nice with the lines of the lace?
It looked really nice right until I tried to block and pin the thing. What might have worked on a small scale, didn’t work so well on a bigger one. It’s not surprising if you really think about it. Imagine if the lace blocks out to be 10% longer than the i-cord. On a small piece like my swatch, the problem presents itself as just being a little difficult to pin because the 10% is maybe half an inch. On a bigger piece, the difference between the amount of stretch is much more noticeable because that 10% is multiple inches. If I pull the top of the shawl straight, the i-cord on the bottom edge also gets pulled straight, and this is what happens. It won’t be hard to fix. It’s just annoying because I thought I was done.