I finished the front of the sweater I was working on and I was feeling ambitious so I seamed it up. It is really ugly.

al2

It’s lumpy and gross. There is waaaaay too much going on and nothing is really recognizable. Everything is sort of abstract.

al3

Some of the lumpiness comes from the ends not being woven in. There are weird gaps and elongated stitches. That contributes to the fact that you can’t tell what anything is. The misshapen stitches cause misshapen characters and the lumps create shadows that make it even harder to identify shapes.

al4

Then there’s the fact that the inside looks like a latch hook rug…. That definitely contributes to the lumpiness.

So the sweater is extremely ugly and I think I’m going to go back to what had been plan A.

al5

I was working on this first, but I didn’t think the colors were working. I really liked the way my rabbit turned out, but I wasn’t completely pleased with Alice’s legs or the cake stand. I also started thinking that a more literal adaptation would be better. I ended up starting over and knitting the mess you see up top.

Now I think I’m going to go back to this design and finish it. It only has 14 rows of intarsia left so it won’t take too long. I think I’m going to knit the body about 4 inches shorter. That should save me time because I’m knitting on a deadline, but it has other perks, too. I’ll have more to wear with it and it will balance the design out a bit better because I started it too high up. I can write about it in my paper explaining my adaptation because Alice in Wonderland is all about scale and size. The part I’m dreading is ripping out my seams to get the back. I did a really good job seaming which is sort of unfortunate in this situation.

So that’s the plan. I hope I can get it done in time.

7 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.