I realized yesterday that I only have 9 (8 now) days left before I leave so if I was going to replace my old book bag, I was going to have to do it soon. Obviously I dropped my knitting, put on a campy sci-fi movie marathon, and got sewing. For those of you that are curious, I watched the 80s Flash Gordon (on VHS of course), Earth Girls Are Easy, MIB, and Galaxy Quest.

sbb1

sbb5

I used two coordinating quilter’s cottons and sandwiched polar fleece in between. The fleece gives the bag a bit more strength but mostly is there to help keep the corners of my books from getting too beaten up.

sbb2

sbb6

I’m getting a bit better at doing this style of corner, but I still suck at it. My sewing consistently looks good from far away and should never be closely examined. Haha! I just don’t have the patience and skills to make everything perfect.

sbb3

sbb7

The straps on my first bag died so I tried to make these ones sturdier. I used nylon tape to do the straps and attached them with D-rings. I also used the nylon underneath the contrast fabric where I attached the D-rings. Hopefully that will hold up a bit better. I used my old book bag for 3 years and I could probably get another semester out of it before the straps completely rip. I think this new guy should hold up well for the two years of school that I have left.

sbb4

I put in a pocket for pens and a pocket for my cellphone/lipstick/measuring tape/cough drops/whatever. It should be pretty handy.

Anyways, I was finishing this up and I was so proud of myself because I made this mostly from my stash. So naturally I went out and bought more fabric last night. Ahem. There should be more sewing projects in the future because I’m off to go do some more sewing!

0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.