After finishing my circle skirt, I was feeling very confident and enthusiastic about my sewing, so I decided to join A Stitching Odyssey’s Vintage Pledge. This year I’m going to try to sew at least two of my vintage and vintage reproduction sewing patterns. It’s a small number, but as you probably have noticed, I don’t sew too often, and it fits well with my goal to sew at least two dresses this year.
For my first vintage pledge project, I decided to go with Butterick 5748, a repro pattern from the 60s. My mom has made me this dress before, and it surprisingly fit me with no alterations. Sadly, however, it’s a bit on the snug side after all of the holidays treats I enjoyed in December, so I’m sewing one size larger for my version. I’m using some quilting cotton and thinking of this as a wearable muslin because there’s a slight chance that I need to do a more complex alteration than simply bumping up a size. I’m also going to have to change up the skirt. I started with three yards of fabric, and the pattern calls for more than four. Last weekend I cut and marked the bodice and I’m waiting until I’ve sewn up the bodice before I decide what to do with the skirt. With those pieces cut out, I have more than 2 yards of fabric which is plenty for a full gathered skirt, but I might also try to find a way to make a shorter circle skirt work.
Leave a Reply