I made a dress for the Fall for Cotton sew-along, and it’s entirely wearable. Overall, I’m fairly pleased with myself. Unfortunately the fit is not what I was hoping for. The badly installed zipper doesn’t bother me because I know I could have put more effort into that. The fact that I accidentally made my lining four inches shorter than the outer skirt when I decided to shorten the overall length of the skirt doesn’t bother me because I know that if I had measured instead of eyeballing how much extra length to cut off, it would have been one inch shorter like it originally was. That stuff doesn’t bother me because I know I could have made more of an effort.
What does bother me is how loose this dress is. I kept debating in my head between thinking that it was too big and thinking that maybe I just have a skewed idea of how much ease a garment should have because most of my store bought clothing is fairly tight through the chest. I think I’ve finally settled on thinking the dress is too big. I need to dig out my muslin and see what went wrong. It could be that I measured my seam allowance wrong while I was sewing. Or it could be that I didn’t cut as precisely and added in a few additional fractions of an inch on every edge. Or it could be that my muslin is also too loose but I never noticed because I wasn’t moving around in it. My mom had been concerned that the dress wouldn’t have enough ease when it was fully lined so we even lined our muslin, and it looked like I should get a nice snug fit. I really am confused by what happened with my dress’s fit.
Despite it’s imperfections, I’ll still wear this dress, because it’s really not that bad. And let’s be honest; I’m going to wear it with a cardigan over it 9 times out of 10. It’s just how I roll.