In an unfortunate case of bad luck, it turns out that I just barely don’t have enough fabric to make a circle skirt for this dress. Instead, I decided to go with a gathered skirt. It will be cute but not as 50s of a look as I originally was aiming for. It’s a bit disappointing, but not the end of the world. I also managed to cut out my bodice front slightly crooked despite my best attempts, but I think a belt will hide that. I just need to do the skirt lining and attach a zipper at this point, so this will be done in the near future!
To get a good fit on my bodice, I lowered the bust tip by an inch and I moved the shoulder seam forward 3/8 of an inch to make up for the slight curve of my back. I can’t really take credit for figuring out my fitting alterations. Last time I was home visiting my parents, my mom and I made a muslin, and she sorted out all of the necessary adjustments. I think this is probably how I’ll do muslins going forward because it’s hard to fit yourself, and the Craftsy class on fit that I took was pretty useless for me. I’m hoping my mom and I can work through a new pattern’s muslin over Thanksgiving!
Leave a Reply