It’s finally done! My mom bought my this yarn for Christmas in 2011, and I expected to be finished with this sweater last spring, but it wouldn’t cooperate. I never anticipated that it would take this long to finish, but it was totally worth the fuss.
I’ve actually had this one done for a few weeks, but it took some time for me to motivate myself to weave in all of the ends and so on. It was strangely anticlimactic when I was finally done with it, but I’m really looking forward to wearing it. With projects that are particularly difficult, I usually have a hard time loving the finished object, even if it turns out wonderfully. The project gets sort of tainted with my annoyance, but that didn’t happen with this. I”m completely in love with it.
I made a few changes to this version after comparing my first attempt to my inspiration. I originally had made the button band match the main color because I was afraid that the buttons I wanted to use wouldn’t look right against red, but when I was rewatching Penelope I decided that the contrasting button band really adds a lot to the sweater. The button band color was the only aesthetic change I made to the sweater. I was really just focused on getting a better fit.
It turned out just like I wanted it to, and I’m incredibly happy to not have to think about this sweater anymore. I’m also really excited to finally have my 3.75mm needles free. They’ve been occupied for far too long!