Bea: A New Headband Pattern

I’ve let my hair get pretty long, and I wear it in a pony tail or bun more often. Hats look a little strange over my hair when it’s up like that, and my old headbands from my early days of knitting don’t really suit my style. My solution last winter was to knit this hair scarf-inspired headband, and it has become one of my most frequently worn winter accessories.

bd5

Knit flat in seed stitch with slipped stitches to keep the edges nice, this is a very simple headband, and the styling is really what makes it interesting. The finished piece gets tied around your head like you would a woven hair scarf. I think the look has a nice balance of retro and modern.

bd3

I used DK weight yarn and knit it on 5 mm needles so it’s super quick to knit. Despite the fairly loose gauge, the headband keeps my ears nice and warm like I wanted it to. And it’s a good last minute knit if, like I did last winter, you happen to not realize that you don’t own any accessories that work with your hair style until it’s freezing out.

bd1

This pattern is free until January 1st to celebrate the holidays. You can download the pdf here or check out the Ravelry page.

12 Responses to “Bea: A New Headband Pattern”

1. Michelle says:

That’s a great idea- I’ve pretty much had to give up putting my hair up in winter, which can be such a bummer.

2. Paula says:

Andi, thank you! This headband is a must-have for me now, it’s great!

3. Woo hoo! I love it. It’d also look really nice in brighter, retro colors like sea-glass blue!

4. Iz says:

This is too cute. Definitely making one (or ten) for myself. Thank you!

5. Carla says:

Oh that is super cute! I finally have another gift I can make for my friend. Thank you very much, Andi!

6. Brenda says:

VERY cute! I am not a ‘hat person’. This will be PERFECT for me! Thank you! :-)

7. Eims says:

I love this pattern! Thanks for offering it for free, I will try to make one as soon as I can :) Beautiful designs, keep it up!

8. Julie says:

That headband is awesome! Looks minimal but stylish, great design.

9. Elizabeth says:

Love the headband, found it a few weeks late as the pattern is already taken down. I was looking to try knitting and was hoping that this was not too difficult. Any chance of passing it along again? Pretty please? Thanks.

• Andi says:

Sorry, Elizabeth. The pattern is no longer available for free. If you follow the link in the post to Ravelry, you can purchase the pattern for $5.

10. Whitney says:

Love it! I recently cut my hair and am now in love with headbands!