Birdies

One of my favorite things to do in the spring is to go for a walk with my camera and a big latte. This does require some awkward juggling because the camera takes two hands, but I always seem to make it work. I’ve been admiring my coffee cup sleeve a lot lately on my walks. It matches the spring scenery nicely. I thought I’d share the pattern so you can make your own sleeve and have a bit of spring.

bird4

Materials:
Stitch marker
US 6/4mm DPNs
Color A – Knit Picks Wool of the Andes in Maple Syrup or a brown worsted weight yarn
Color B – Knit Picks Wool of the Andes in Wonderland Heather or a pale blue worsted weight yarn

Gauge
11 stitches x 13 rows = 2 inch x 2 inch

A printer friendly B&W version of the chart is available here.

Instructions:
Cast on 36 stitches with Color A. Place the stitch marker and join in the round.
Rounds 1-2:*K1, p1; repeat from * to end with Color A.
Rounds 3-14: Work Rows 1-12 of chart.
Round 15: Knit all stitches with Color A.
Rounds 16-17: *K1, p1; repeat from * to end with Color A.
Bind off all stitches with Color A.
Weave in all ends and lightly block the sleeve.

bird3

Buy yourself something hot and tasty and put the sleeve to use!

10 Responses to “Birdies”

1. Rae says:

That came out great

2. Mags says:

It’s almost a pity that I don’t drink coffee or tea when I’m on the go. It came out super cute!

3. Lauren says:

This is cute! I usually use a basic coffee mug, and these don’t work so well with the handles. If I am struck with the desire to knit colorwork flat I’ll know where to turn!

4. Haley says:

Oh! Wonderful pics :)

5. Erin says:

Great color combination and it looks like a fun, fast project.

6. Kristen says:

Super cute! Thanks for sharing the pattern!

7. Sarah Deetz says:

Andi! I am so jealous, I would adore one of these for my coffee cups & it would make me feel proper London or something, trolling round my campus with a beret on (just fantasizing!). Also, I didn’t know that the photo of Kirsten Dunst was from ‘Dick’, I’d been wondering about that, going to have to track down a copy right away! xo

8. Sam says:

What does it mean when it says “Work Rows”? What kind of stitching do you follow in?