Zoz Cowl Pattern

I had a hard time coming up with a name for this pattern. I thought about calling it Zzzs because the stitch pattern looks sort of Z shaped but I wasn’t really happy with the name. Sometimes I read numbers as letters and the other day when I looked down at the ball band to the yarn I used for this, I read “Zoz”. It just kind of stuck. Zoz is a cozy cowl featuring a migrating ribbing that is broken up by eyelets. The ribbing gives it a little more structure when it’s tucked into a coat and the eyelets help prevent the alpaca from being too toasty.

zoz3

Materials:
1 skein of Plymouth Yarn Baby Alpaca Grande or 110 yards of Bulky Yarn
8mm circular needles
Stitch Marker

Gauge of repeated rows 1-2: 10st x 15rows = 4x4in

zoz4

Finished Measurements: Approximately 24 inches around and 10 inches deep.

Key:
– P Purl
o Yo Yarn Over
_ K Knit
/ K2tog Knit two together

zoz2

Pattern:
Cast on 60 stitches and join in the round. Place marker.

With Chart:
zzschart
Chart represents 1/6 of the stitches. Each chart row is meant to be repeated 6 times per knit row.

Work rows 1-10 of the chart.
Repeat rows 1-2 ten times.
Work rows 1-10 of the chart.
Bind Off.

zoz5

With out Chart:

Round 1: *P2, yo, k2tog, k1; repeat from * to end of round.
Round 2: *P2, k3; repeat from * to end of round.
Round 3: *K1, p2, yo, k2tog; repeat from * to end of round.
Round 4: K1 *p2, k3; repeat from * to last 4 sts, p2, k1, slip st to right needle, remove marker, pass slipped st back, and place marker. This is now the beginning of the round. Remaining st becomes part of the next round.
Round 5: *K2tog, k1, p2, yo; repeat from * to end of round.
Round 6: K2, *p2, k3; rep from * to last 3 sts, p2, k1.
Round 7: *Yo, k2tog, k1, p2; repeat from * to end of round.
Round 8: *K3, p2; repeat from * to end of round.
Round 9: *P1, yo, k2tog, k1, p1; repeat from * to end of round.
Round 10: P1, *k3, p2; rep from * to last 4 sts, k3, p1.

Repeat Rounds 1-2 10 times
Work Rounds 1-10.
Bind off.

zoz1

Mods: If you have more yarn, you can make a deeper cowl by repeating rows 1-2 more than 10 times. If you want a wider cowl, increase your stitch count by increments of 5.

zoz6 zoz7

July 12, 2010: I’ve updated the pattern to correct some errors. Thank you StacyKnitsIt for pointing them out. I appreciate it.

15 Responses to “Zoz Cowl Pattern”

1. OPKnitter says:

Handsome cowl. Thanks for sharing the pattern.

2. Anonymous says:

So happy to finally find a great pattern for my 1 ball of Alpaca Grande! Thanks so much!StaceyKnitsIt ravelry

3. Anonymous says:

The YO is Missing in your Written Instructions. Just found this out while working the W. Instructions.StaceyKnitsIt

4. Ellisen says:

Thanks for sharing this pattern. I love it! Might make it right now!

5. Debi says:

I have a stash of this yarn and this pattern will help to make it disappear. Love it!!

6. Nancy says:

Did the missing YO referred to above get corrected in the pattern? I don’t want to start the cowl until I know that the written pattern is correct.

7. Nancy says:

Did the missing YO referred to above get corrected in the written directions?

8. Teresa Laite says:

Just wanted to thank you for the pattern. Been looking for such a cowl to knit that would not take too long. Thanks again.

Teresa

9. rose mscicluna says:

I like the pattern it is very easy to make thank you.

10. Diane says:

Could this pretty cowl be made with a worsted weight yarn?

Thanks,
    Diane

• Andi says:

You’d need to modify the pattern slightly if you’re getting a different gauge, but that wouldn’t be hard to do! You’d just need to make a swatch and find out how many extra repeats you’ll need for your gauge.

11. Sandra says:

we don’t have this yarn in Australia, would you be able to tell me what the ply is and the size of the ball in metric or the weight of the yarn needed .. it sounds like you are using a fine yarn with a large needle .. thankyou

12. Dotty says:

Could you tell me where to find the corrections.. I have the original and am confused.. thanks